Monday, November 2, 2009

What's my name?

Today is the first Monday since starting this weekly fast that I haven't really wanted to do it. Doesn't help that I'm tired, and feeling a bit under the weather. And I feel HUNGRY!!!

Nevertheless (good word that) I am choosing to persevere. Today, I've been reading about the account in Genesis of Jacob wrestling with God. Good stuff though I don't think anyone is that clear on what is actually going on. But it's certainly a lesson in perseverance. Jacob refused to let go, even though his hip had been dislocated, until God answered his prayer and blessed him.

It makes me wonder whether I should do an 'all-night' prayer session - though the idea has no appeal, and I wonder how I'd stay awake! I suppose Jzcob couldn't really fall asleep as his all-nighter was very active and physical. Maybe I could no an all-night prayer walk in Kibera, but unfortunately it's too dangerous at night to consider that seriously.

So maybe, for me, the lesson to be learnt here is not about praying all night. Maybe it is about perseverance, about not giving up on a day when I'm not 'feeling' so enthusiastic about fasting, but demonstrating to God that I am serious about this, and that I will persevere, no matter what. Jacob certainly did, and received the blessing of God in return for his persistence.

What will I get in return for mine? My honest desire is to see God's Kungdom come in Kibera. To see the people there set free from the chains that bind them to poverty - and many of those chains are spiritual. So for deliverance, and for healing, and through this to see God glorified through the testimony of His transformational power at work there.

Jacob was blessed by being given the name 'Israel' - Prince with God, or he strives with God, or may God persevere.

If I could choose a name for me, it would be something like 'he sees God's power and love for those who have been forgotten'.

No comments:

Post a Comment