Monday, October 26, 2009

The Glory of God

The concluding chapter of Piper's book today. Why does God reward fasting. Piper's view is because ultimately it is demonstrating a reliance on God, which must bring glory to God, and that is what God is all about - bring glory to himself.

I'm not sure where I am with this view, but there is enough evidence in history to prove that fasting is rewarded by God to believe that my fasting for the people of Kibera will too be rewarded. How it is rewarded is not for me to say. So whether or not God brings his healing to the streets of Kibera, or he rewards my fast in some other way, and maybe even a way I never see, I still believe it will be rewarded.

So, where do I go from here? Next week I may review my notes on Piper's book, or maybe I'll look to the Bible for inspiration - I don't know. This fast has so far been a time of preparation fir me, and I'm not sure when I'll know i'm fully prepared, or at least as prepared as God wants me to be. If I'm too well prepared, I guess I may be tempted to try to do stuff in my own srrength, a course of action that is doomed to failure, and that I do not want to take, as it will bring NO glory to God.

But I think my spiritual state is much healthier for this fast, and that may be enough. After all, pretty much everything we've done at TP has been done by us relying on God, so why should this next step be any different. I guess it feels more important and significant because it's on the spiritual plane this time - the other aspects of our work are very much dealing with meeting the needs of the here and now, not eternal things of the soul.

So, I'm excited, a little bit scared, feeling out of my depth but knowing that God is with me. And still feeling compelled to go on.

I believe God's glory is going to be seen in Kibera in a big way! And that's why I'm doing it - for the glory of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment