Monday, October 12, 2009

Butterman!

Isaiah 58 today. A passage Jo and I know well, as it was instrumental in us setting up Turning Point originally. However, it's easy to skip over it now because of its familiarity, and that's not good.

Looking at it again today I've realised that some verses can be interpreted in more than one way; that there may be both a practical and spirutual aspect. 'To loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke.' v6. Some of this we as humans can do, and some we can go some way to doing, but some is for God alone. It is only He that can really 'set the oppressed free', true freedom is something that only God can provide. But we can partner with God, we can work at freedom from the chains that physically bind people.

And we can pray that God would free them from the cords that bind their spirit. That's what Monday's in Kibera are all about for me. Pleading with God for the souls of those forgotten or ignored by so many, but not by God. And v8 talks about the appearance of healing. I've always taken it to mean healing for the person fulfilling the right type of fast as prescribed in the previous couple of verses, but today I've been asking God to bring his healing to these overlooked and downtrodden people.

What's my part in this. To humbly submit myself to God, through my fasting to gain more of a hunger for holiness in all areas of my life, that when God remembers the people of Kibera and begins the transformation of their lives that I ling to see, I would be ready for whatever part in that God has for me.

My prayer is that whatever my part is I would be able to fulfil it humbly, giving ALL the glory to God. I am but a man. Or, to use my superhero persona, I am Butterman!

No comments:

Post a Comment