Monday, January 18, 2010

Shrieking demons!

So we were due to do some more training this morning, but vehicle problems have prevented us. Rescheduled for next Tuesday, so the impetus will continue. I'm thinking that we'll hopefully get out on the streets of Kibera for the first time on 1st Feb - two weeks today.

I've been reading in Acts about how after Stephen died, Philip went and started preaching, and demons were shrieking as they came out. Did some more 'claiming Kibera prayer for God' today and was taking authority over Satan and sending him out of Kibera - obviously not in any of my own power, but it's great to know that he's already lost the battle, and that if we are standing with Jesus we have His authority and can basically order Satan or one of his demons to flee, and they have to obey.

I'm praying for that sort of power in Jesus' name in Kibera - whether it be through the HotS or some other means - but that Kibera would become a place that is known for Jesus, that it would be a place where people know the freedom that comes through knowing Jesus, and where Satan would have no more strongholds, but where he would know he has no place.

Now that would be a different Kibera! Am I being naive? Do I really think that my prayers, together with the prayers of a few pastors and others, can have that impact? I wonder whether the first apostles also had these sorts of questions? Did they doubt a person would be healed when they declared it? Did they fear taking authority over demons and casting them out, afraid of what the demons may do to them?

We're not told about the apostles having doubts, but they were human, so I imagine they did at first, but maybe after a few instances of taking authority they started to get confidence in God's power, and in their own ability to hear and discern God's voice telling them who to zap, and who not to. The healing of the man who went 'walking and leaping' by Peter and John I find interesting because I wonder, 'what was different that day?' They had walked past this man on countless other days, and not healed him. Why that day? I can only conclude that they discerned that it was on that day that God wanted to heal him, and on previous days He hadn't! Why? Only God knows.

And only God knows what'll happen when we start praying for people in Kibera on Feb 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment