Monday, September 28, 2009

The absence of fasting

So I'm continuing my preparations for God's coming to Kibera by studying 'A Hunger for God' by John Piper. This week the few pages I've read have had a number of challenges, one of which being the question: what does the absence of fasting say about us? Now, this is my first period of fasting, and Piper suggests that not fasting suggests a contentment with the way things are, with the spiritual status quo, with the absence of Christ. Yet when we pray the Lord's prayer, we say 'your kingdom come'. It won't come unless we are earnestly seeking it, unless we hunger for it, unless we hunger to see God move in power here on earth. Fasting will not create this hunger, but it is a way of expressing it. And we can be more aware of our spiritual appetites when we're not in the bondage of physical ones.

Fasting is not a pacifistic discipline but rather a fearsome weapon in the Christian's armoury to use in the fight of faith.

And I have realised that we are under spiritual attack in Kibera at the moment. Many staff members are being distracted from their Kingdom work by family sicknesses and other things. This morning I spoke to all the staff about expecting such attacks, and encouraging them to put on the armour of God daily to ensure they are equipped for the fight. If we are seriously seeking God to transform this community of Kibera, satan won't be happy, so opposition is to be expected. But, we have the victory!

Pastor and I have been doing some warfare prayer today at the project, and I expect we will need to do this every week on our fast days.

We are earnestly seeking for God's kingdom to come in Kibera! And we invite any others to pray with us for this.

5 comments:

  1. Hi John

    I ave to say fasting must be my least favourite spiritiual discipline, however since the visit, Sue and I have been trying a very mild fast i.e. no breakfast or lunch every Monday, which has been OK till about 5.00pm. Not getting that close to 40 days then.

    One problem is I've never really got it, why fast? But I find your reflection of John Piper very compelling. I suppose also there is something about getting in touch with Christ's suffering for the world too.

    I also heard someone say fasting was originally part of an approach to cleansing oneself before coming close to God; like a spiritual detox so to speak and while I know thanks to JC we don't need to do that, it seemed to give some sort of a rationale.

    Of course I'm safe in sharing this right now because next Monday I'm meeting my boss for lunch so I can't really fast that day could I?!

    We will continue to pray for you all

    All the best

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid I'm not fasting on a Monday - I can't be descrete at work as we all go out to the canteen when the bell goes and I don't think "Oh I'm fasting for healing on the streets of Kibera" would be helpful at that moment. I do intend to remember you all in prayer though, and seeing you pop up on Facebook and twitter is helping that! Keep it up chaps,

    Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is VERY inspiring Jon. You are challenging me, that is for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm no expert on fasting(that's an understatement!) but this Monday I'll give it a whirl as I don't have any work commitments - and there's no reason not to! Right behind you all....what you're doing at TP is wonderful and just want God to bless the work more and more.

    ReplyDelete