Monday, May 3, 2010

It's not just for the poor

We were due to start up again today - unfortunately I'm sick and the two Kenyans on our team are a bit too busy with it being the first day of the project reopening after the Easter break. So instead of updating on HotS, I thought I'd update on someone I had the privilege of praying for after church a couple of weeks ago, let's call him Adam.

Adam had been experiencing a lot of pain on the right hand side of his chest and abdomen, and the doctors were baffled. In the ministry time after the service Pastor Doug asked a lady and myself to pray for him. We talked a little first, then began praying. We could sense the Holy Spirit with us as we prayed, and took authority over the condition and commanded it to come out. After a while of praying we asked Adam what he was feeling, and he could feel the Holy Spirit at work. I had a sense that something had to be pulled out from Adam's right hand side, and repositioned myself so I could concentrate on that area. Now it might seem weird - it did to me - but I felt that I needed to mime pulling something like a rope from his side, in a sort of tug-of-war style. I was a little hesitant to do this, especially as we were at the front of church and there were still many people there. But nevertheless, and feeling a bit of an idiot, that's what I started to do, praying whilst I was pulling this imaginary rope from Adam's side. At the end of the prayer time we asked Adam how he was feeling, and he said that the pain levels were coming down.

I didn't see him again till yesterday, and I approached him to see how he is now. He informed me that he's completely better, that there is absolutely no pain, and that God had really taught him some stuff through the sickness and healing process.

It's great that God healed Adam, but I felt a little sad that the healing needed to be justified by God teaching him through this time. And I said, "Maybe God healed you just because He wanted to heal you, not because He wanted to teach you anything".

We do like to rationalise God, but I think the Bible points to a God who is completely irrational, from a human perspective, and does things His own way, for His own reasons - and often just simply because He loves us and we ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment